Thursday, August 30, 2007

Geeky & Weird


Well, in two days (Sept. 1st) it will be 17 years Kevin and I have been together. I've been with Kevin almost half my life (we started dating when I was 19, he was 24). Wow, so long ago, 19 years old seems so long ago. So what has it been like being with the same person for so long. GREAT! He's my best friend, confidant, sounding board, the world's best dad and husband. Sure we've had our down and outs, but what relationship hasn't? But I keep saying, after 17 years I still like him a whole lot. There's a line from a song from the Fiddler on the Roof - "Swiftly fly the years, one season following another laden with happiness and tears" (Sunrise, Sunset). It's been 17 years of more happiness than tears, unless you count tears from laughing so hard you can barely breath.

That was one of the first things that attracted me to the love of my life. I know now that when he's nervous, he gets funny. Well he must have been nervous the first time we met face to face cause he had me laughing the whole time. Speaking of the first time we met, that's sort of where the title for this blog comes in. Kevin and I spent our first "meeting" over the telephone. We had a mutual friend and I don't really remember how or why, but we started talking on the phone. For almost two weeks that was the extent of our relationship. He was stationed at Homestead Air Force Base (no longer if full service since Hur. Andrew), so growing up just a few blocks from the base I had a prejudice about the looks of an air force man. Plus, Kevin has a really, I mean really, nice voice. So you get an image in your mind of what a person looks like. Well, let's just say he didn't look anything like I thought he would. He was very tall, very thin - geeky looking. But now, of course, I think he's gorgeous.

So where does the weird come into play? Well, I haven't asked him directly, but I'm sure he had an image in his head of what I would look like. Now I had just finished my first year of art school and well, I dressed a bit "weird". I still remember what I wore since he can - jean shorts that were cut from jeans that were like 4 sizes too big for me (back then I was nice and skinny - size 4 - maybe too skinny, anyway...), a thick black belt that kept them up, black loafers, no socks (you will rarely find Kevin without socks on - pool, shower, that's about it). I think I was just wearing a white t-shirt, he said I was pretty, but dressed weird.

So we often joke about how I thought he was geeky looking and how he thought I was dressed weird. Yet the geek and the weirdo fell in love, got married, traveled, had kids, and like each other very much after 17 years.

Picture of us just a year after we started dating. I was visiting his family for the first time.

6 comments:

Jescel said...

it is such a blessing to know that in this divorce-laden society, there are still marriages that withstand the test of times. you guys are such a good example to us. may your love for each other ever become stronger and stronger, as you continue to put Jesus in the center of your marriage....by the way, i can see emily in you and katie in kevin in the pic! :o)

Marcy Ribeiro said...

awww.this is awesome..you guys are so cute....what a beautiful example...congrats guys...

Dave and Vicky said...

Congratulations.....17 years and still in love...
Thank you for being a solid example of a Godly couple in our lives. We love you guys.
Vicky

Big Sister said...

Thanks everyone. God's the reason we're where we are today. There was an interview with Charlton Heston and his wife. The interviewer noted how long they had been married (like 30 + years - BIG deal in hollywood). The interviewer asked if Mrs. Heston had ever thought about divorce. Her response? "Divorce, no. Murder yes!" LOL. Well maybe just putting a hurtin' on him.

Joseph said...

Hey Holly...in the philippines, there's no divorce, only new recipes with "husband" listed as the main ingredient...hehe, dont tell jes, ok :OP

Anonymous said...

Aww...that is too cute! Congrats on your anniversary! I was weird looking when I was in high school...I think Alex probably thought so also. :-) And well, I still think Alex is a geek. ;-)

Happy Anniversary!