Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Green Religion

I just read an article on FoxNews.com that I found very interesting. It lists those who tote the new "green religion", yet fail to practice what they preach. Of course, Al was #1. As were other celebs who are unwilling to change their lifestyles to help with this "environmental crisis".

As a mom, there was one item I wanted to pass on. That having to do with the ever "green" push to use florescent light bulbs. See below...

Mercury is highly toxic to everyone, but particularly to children and developing fetuses,” says the activist group Environmental Defense, a long-time campaigner against mercury from power plant emissions and in automobile convenience lighting.

So it came as quite a surprise when the group began advocating that consumers bring the “highly toxic” mercury into their homes in the form of compact fluorescent light bulbs in order to reduce power plant CO2 emissions. CFLs are so hazardous, according to public health officials however, that special safety precautions must be taken for disposal or if the bulbs break.


While I do believe recycling is important, that we are called to take care of this planet, I think we need to be wary of those who would use scare tactics and hype that they don't even believe to force they're agenda. If you want to read a really good book, I would suggest Dixie Lee Ray's Environmental Overkill". It's a real eye opener.

For those of us old enough to remember, in the 1970s there was a coming ice age (which never occurred), now its a warming age. Wasn't really warm here on planet earth when the dinosaurs were around? Didn't the ice age kill them off? So maybe it's suppose to be warm?? Think about it.

6 comments:

Joseph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph said...

yeah, all that "green" stuff...they should have more babies -- and they will have lots more green stuff! LOL. Maybe someone will win the Nobel Prize for changing poopy diapers?
I vote for Al Gore to win that one!

Stacie said...

Ooh, now I'm all nervous. Our house is full of flourescent lights. We don't like them. Is the danger in being exposed to them or in the event of them breaking? Oh dear.

Big Sister said...

here's a website I found that gives you more info..

http://nemesis.lonestar.org/reference/electricity/fluorescent/safety.html

Joseph said...

hey holly, i heard today that Al Gore finally broke down and did something "GREEN" about his HUGE electric bill --- he paid it..hehe!

Jescel said...

I grew up in a house full of flourescent lights. I come from a 3rd world country, and flourescent lights use lower electricity, so most houses in the Philippines use this than the yellow bulb. Sometimes, all this bruhaha about going "green", global warming, ice age, etc. is way too much. It robs you off the joy of living LIFE! The bible says that when "all people" shall have heard the gospel then the END will come.. as far as I know, not every people has heard the gospel yet, so I don't think the end will come soon... LOL! Besides when God says it's the END, then it's the END of the world and no one can do anything about it! So in the meantime, I'll do my best in taking care of my environment, but I'll enjoy my life and not live in paranoia!!!