Saturday, October 6, 2007

What's the difference?

I don't know if you do this, but I often wonder what's the difference between like items that have different names. Like, what is the difference between a sofa and a couch. What's the difference between a liquid and a fluid. A frog and a toad, supper and dinner...
Here are the answers if you didn't know either:
Sofa & Couch

They are actually the same thing. If you look at dictionary.com sofa uses the word "couch" in the definition. The word couch is more detailed but in the end the definition is a sofa. Another interesting note a couch is also a lair for a wild beast! Maybe that's why people make out on the couch!

Liquid & Fluid
Again referring to dictionary.com A liquid commonly refers to substances, as water, oil, alcohol, and the like, that are neither solids nor gases: Water ceases to be a liquid when it is frozen or turned to steam. A fluid is applied to anything that flows, whether liquid or gaseous. So a fluid can consist of a liquid or gas, where a liquid is just that, a liquid

Frog & Toad
Frog lives mostly in water, toad live mostly on land.

Supper & Dinner
Supper is eaten later than dinner. I guess after standard dinner time you're eating supper!

That's it. Have a great day!

2 comments:

Joseph said...

Thats deep stuff, Holly. Hope I can now apply what I have learned,hmmm. Let'see... When Jescel's in a loving mood,its a "sofa"--but when I'm in the doghouse,I (the "wildbeast")can sleep on the "couch". Of course,there'sno "making-out" at this point.
Secondly, in my daily routine I find things are usually "fluid". However,due to an unspecified pathogen,this week my whole life seems "liquid".
Thirdly, when I frequently have access to my razor and hot water, I appear to look more like the "frog" that my wife kissed and married, whereas recently, being in the Philippines, with the razor and hot water becoming more scarce (haha, along with the second definition above), has pretty much turned me into a "toad".
As for supper and dinner,they are 30 minutes apart for me, thanks again mr.funky-stomach-bateria. Although, I do think think that "supper" is a "liquid",and "dinner"is a gas...Hehehe.
Love you guys!

chad said...

hey i revamped the art take a look when you can... thanks for the input.