Friday, February 6, 2009

First Week Of School

Yes, it was OUR first week of home school. After readjusting, moving, readjusting, settling in and the rest I FINALLY got to start home schooling Emily. Our first week went well. She was eager to do the work, which at this level takes about 45 minutes.
We pray with Daddy, then its Bible study, phonics, numbers, review and an activity.

Our first week was a study in Creation (where else should you begin but in the beginning!) She learned her first Bible verse.


I just used the camera on the computer to record. We did record a cleaner version, but this was just easier. Sorry for my laziness. Must be the cold. And yes, that's a camera - she was taking pictures

We worked on the letter "i", its sound and names (capital and little).

We also worked on our numbers. We were to work on 1-2-3, but she caught on really quick so I added 4. She had to tell me the number, then show me how many items were equivalent to that number. We used some plastic Easter eggs I found in my mom's closet. I had to keep searching the house for them because the girls kept playing with them. (hey, my own Easter egg hunt!) I did start out with 10, but 2 have gone missing. Good thing they're not real eggs! Thus she had to borrow two eggs from the #3 to complete the necessary amount needed for #4.

We did have more pics from earlier in the week, but the camera did something weird and they're all gone. Which stinks because the pictures from Kevin's trip to Colorado with the snow and his visit to New Jersey are gone forever. He's most upset about the picture of his grandmother who is quite sick, and at 89, that's not always a good thing. Anyway…

Yes, we did most days in our pajamas. But we're that kind of family. If we don't have plans to be out first thing, we can spend all day in them. Especially when its cold outside. Nice warm pajamas just seem to keep the cold out better. But I promise myself I will be more disciplined next week and get dressed first. But we did start on time - 9am - so that was a bonus. One step at a time.

Our special project was making a tree from leaves we picked off the ground outside.




And since we were talking about creation, what better place to experience God's handy work than the zoo. So off we went. Got our annual pass so we're set (now we know we'll be moving soon - just from experience). Here's a few pic from that.

So that's our news of the week. So each morning I turn into "teacher mommy" (she just started calling me that) and Emily becomes "student Emily". Katie's participation is limited. She does most of the coloring work. Emily's not so much into it. It took her two days to finish one picture. She does dig the computer though.

1 comment:

Dave and Vicky said...

congratulations teacher Mommy!!