Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jesus' Christmas List

For the past months I have had my quiet time on line. Yep, with lots going on and two children who demand my attention as soon as I finally sit down I find it allows me to meet with Jesus. So why am I sharing this. Well, I mostly read the devotions from Proverbs 31 Ministries and they are amazing. Especially this last month with so very much happening in our lives, its been a real comfort. You know how sometimes you hear a message and its like the pastor or who ever is reading your mind. I mean the very event, problem, situation you are going through is EXACTLY what he preaches on? Well that's how this blog-devotion has been for us. With only a few exceptions it has totally met me where I was. God has definitely been speaking to me via this devotion.
Anyway, today's devotion was on the business of Christmas. And I think that even most of us Christians still fall into secular mode in regards to some of our holiday planning. Yes we do plays and services and such, but I think we all still get sucked in by the commericalism of Christmas. Yes, me included! (Don't tell them, but the girls are getting bikes and I'm SOOOO EXCITED!) (see!).
So the author of today's devotion had what might be on the list of those who played a part in the first Christmas that glorious day our Savior was born...

I wonder, if Jesus were making a holiday preparations list, what would He include? What if those who were there on Christ’s birth day could advise us on getting ready for Christmas? What would be on their list?

Joseph might recommend we listen closely to the voice of God to prepare.
Mary may suggest we ponder the miracles of heaven.
Perhaps the angels would propose we sing about the King.
The shepherds may gently guide us to follow their act of worship.
Possibly the wise men would teach us to give Jesus our most valuable gifts.
The innkeeper may suggest “Hospitality: open your heart and home.”
And Jesus’ list would likely encourage us to be a light on the hill pointing the way for others to know Him.


I've tried to think of ways to add Christ back in the hurriedness of Christmas. How can we stop, and truly share this wonderful gift with our family, friends, and esp. our children? What kinds of things can we do to instill in our kids that Christmas is not about how many gifts are under the tree, or how many parties we get invited to, but how we celebrate the greatest gift given to mankind?
I'm not being hypothetical, I'm really asking? We've always tried to read the story of Christ's birth before we can open gifts. Which right now might be a bit harder to do. So maybe the night before? What kinds of things do you do to keep Christ as the center of the celebration? Share and if I like it, I might steal it for myself!!! LOL.

On a more personal note, we leave tomorrow morning EST. Overall, we've got a 26 hour trip in front of us. Pray for safety and calm. Another prayer request is for my sister and her family. Life is really throwing them curve balls. In just the last 4 months her and her husband have been dealing with lots of medical issues and I learned this morning that K.C. (her husband) was in a car accident. The Lord is good, he only has a broken arm and of course soreness, but his car is totaled. Other driver was speeding trying to make the light and didn't. Just pray for a speedy recover (his job won't allow him to work with a cast - so that's 4-6 weeks with no paycheck). Thanks for all your support, encouragement, and friendships and we'll see you on the flip side! (get it cause we're below the equator.... okay, not as funny as I thought?)

2 comments:

Dave and Vicky said...

call us when you get here.

Jescel said...

see you at the airport!